In order to get the most out of your study abroad experience, you should work with the Study Abroad Advisor to start planning your experience as soon as possible.
The study abroad pre-departure planning process includes meeting with the Study Abroad Advisor, becoming educated about the options available to you, researching countries and programs, researching funding options, planning coursework, and applying to a specific program. In addition to program-specific applications, you must complete the application process for Carlow University's Study Abroad program.
We are here to guide you along in this process. Follow these steps to get started:
1) Meet with the Study Abroad Advisor
- The Study Abroad Advisor provides individualized advising to ensure that your study abroad experience meets your specific academic, professional, and personal goals.
- Schedule an advising appointment by email (email@example.com) or call 412-578-6378. You are always welcome to stop by the Study Abroad desk in Grace Library, University Commons, Third Floor too!
2) Get your passport
- A passport is a document issued by the government which certifies the identity and nationality of the holder for the purpose of international travel. You cannot travel or study abroad in another country, including Canada, without having a passport.
- Apply for or renew your US passport at https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html
- Keep in mind that applying for a passport can cost about $130-150 and it can take a while to arrive (up to eight weeks), so plan accordingly.
3) Meet with Financial Aid Office
- After you have met with the Center for Global Learning, you should meet with the Financial Aid Office in order to see what financial aid options you have available to you. Study abroad is an investment and can be an extra expense depending on your situation, so it is crucial to work with Financial Aid as soon as possible in order to make a plan for financing your experience.
4) Meet with your academic advisor
- Your academic advisor can provide guidance on course selection as well as the ideal timeframe for your study abroad experience.
CONTACT CENTER FOR GLOBAL LEARNING