Carlow University in collaboration with the 2014 Carnegie Mellon University International Film Festival presents a screening of
The Cleaner (El Limpiador), Directed by Adrián Saba (Peru | 93 min.)
Monday, March 24, 2014
Fifth Floor, Grace Library
Free and open to the public
Academy Award nominated for Best Foreign Film
Director Adrián Saba will be at the screening to introduce the film and answer questions afterward.
“A controlled, stripped-down approach pays off in an affecting two-hander that’s set during what feels like the end of the world.” – The Hollywood Reporter
- Winner of the New Voices/New Visions Grand Jury Prize at the Palm Springs International Film Festival
- Winner of the FIPRESCI Prize at the Transilvania International Film Festival
- Winner of the New Directors Award Special Mention at the San Sebastian International Film Festival
- Winner of the Best First Work Special Mention at the Havana Film Festival
- Nominated for the New Directors Competition Gold Hugo at the Chicago International Film Festival
The Cleaner (El Limpiador) takes us into a world of urban desolation. Lima, Peru, serves as the location for a fatal epidemic, in which human corpse disposal constitutes the protagonist’s daily work life. Newcomer director Adrián Saba creates a bleak yet visually striking atmosphere, bringing cinematographic beauty to dark subject matter. Long, static takes frame a variety of spaces from claustrophobic interiors to panoramic shots of Peruvian landscape. Along with an ambient musical score, stunning visual references to astronomy further recall science fiction, blurring the line between a habitable Earth and a faraway planet. While such an apocalypse is fictitious, The Cleaner transforms the metropolitan setting of contemporary Lima into a deserted and haunting backdrop. This seemingly doomed tale of work, however, is not one without hope.
For more information about the screening, please contact Csaba Toth at firstname.lastname@example.org