The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures to be followed if a missing person complaint is made to the Carlow University Police Department.
Each student living in a campus residence hall has the opportunity to list an emergency contact by completing an Emergency Contact form available at the Office of Residence Life.
If a complaint is made to the Carlow University Police Department, the following steps will be taken:
- When a student is reported missing, residence life staff will immediately contact the Carlow University Police Department.
- The person receiving the complaint will immediately dispatch a Carlow police officer to the location of the complaint.
- The responding officer will gather all essential information about the missing person (description, clothes last worn, where subject might be, who they might be with, vehicle description, etc.) A current photograph of the missing person may also be obtained to aid in the search.
- The responding officer will also gather information about the physical and mental well-being of the individual who is missing.
- Appropriate campus staff will be notified to aid in the search for the individual.
- A quick, but thorough search will be conducted in all campus buildings and parking lots.
- Class schedules of the missing person will be obtained and a search of classrooms will be conducted.
If the above actions are unsuccessful in locating the person or it is apparent from the beginning that the person is actually missing (i.e. a call from parents, guardians), the investigation will be turned over to the appropriate local law enforcement agency. That agency then becomes the authority in charge and the Carlow Police Department will assist them as needed.
The Dean of Student Affairs or her/his designee will be responsible for communicating with the family or relatives of the missing person. The emergency contact will be notified within 24 hours to verify if the person is missing or has voluntarily left her residence. If the student is less than 18 years of age, and not emancipated, their parent or guardian will be notified.