MFA ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
Identify Your Area of Concentration:
Identify Your Preferred Start Date:
- Creative Non-Fiction
- January (spring semester)—in Pittsburgh
- June (summer semester)—in Dublin, Ireland
*Please note that there is no fall semester start date.
Fast, simple and free of charge. This will get the ball rolling with your admission process.
2. Personal Essays:
Two essays are required, typed, and double spaced. These essays will satisfy the graduate application essay requirement.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation:
- Essay 1: Applicants will submit a self-assessment of their writing ability, including reasons for entering Carlow’s low residency MFA program (300 words).
- Essay 2: Applicants will submit a critical response to a substantive piece of literature (500-750 words).
Applicants should seek recommendation from persons who can assess their creative talent, preferably teachers with whom they have studied, and others who know their capacity to work independently. Share the link to the Graduate Recommendation Form
and have your colleague/faculty/supervisor(s) submit it, digitally.5. Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Applicants should submit a current resume or curriculum vitae containing information on education, professional experience, membership in professional organizations, professional and academic honors, research and publication activities, and relevant public service activities, if applicable. 5. Text Submission
Applicants should submit the following text for their indicated concentration area:
- 10 poems
- 25 pages of fiction (double spaced, 1 in. margins)
- 25 pages of creative non-fiction (double spaced, 1 in. margins)
Please forward application materials to:
Graduate Admissions for MFA in Creative Writing
ATTN: Patrick Martyn
3333 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213