You're not in this alone! Carlow University is committed to helping you find ways to fund your education while providing exceptional service throughout the financial aid process.
(see below for a more detailed calendar)
March 15 Preferred FAFSA filing date for new students in order to receive maximum consideration for financial aid.
April 1 Preferred FAFSA filing date for returning students in order to receive maximum consideration for financial aid.
May 1 FAFSA deadline for Pennsylvania State Grant consideration for new and returning students.
July Fall tuition bill is mailed to students.
August Fall tuition bill is due.
November Spring tuition bill is mailed to students.
December Spring tuition bill is due.
100% of our first- time, full-time traditional students receive financial assistance, many of whom thought attending Carlow would not be possible.
FINANCIAL AID CALENDAR
- Begin searching for private scholarships.Use the internet, talk to other students, check with your guidance counselor, visit the outside scholarship page, etc.
- Whenever possible, prepare income tax returns as early as possible.
- Student and parents should create an FSA User ID at fsaid.ed.gov
- Student and parents should complete 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov. (DO NOT USE WWW.FAFSA.COM)
- File FAFSA before May 1 to be considered for a PA State Grant and to receive a priority financial aid package from Carlow. Carlow’s preferred deadline for maximum financial aid requires the FAFSA to be filed by March 15.
- Whenever possible use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to automatically move your income information from the IRS to the FAFSA.
- If you file the FAFSA before you file your taxes, update the FAFSA when your taxes are complete.
- Carlow University’s Federal School Code is 003303. List Carlow first on your FAFSA so we receive your PA State Grant information from PHEAA. Note: Pennsylvania residents must complete a PHEAA Status Notice for state grant. Contact PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392 for more information.
- For help with the FAFSA, contact the Financial Aid Office at 412.578.6389 or email@example.com or Federal Student Aid Customer Service at 1.800.433.3243 or FederalStudentAidCustomerService@ed.gov.
- The US Department of Education notifies you that your FAFSA was processed and provides you with a Student Aid Report (SAR). Review the SAR for accuracy, and if necessary, correct your FAFSA online.
- The Financial Aid Office mails you a Financial Aid Award Letter that outlines your complete financial aid package for the 2016-17 academic year. Refer to the checklist that will be included with the award letter if there are any documents or processes you must complete to finalize your financial aid package.
- Reminder: Carlow’s preferred deadline to file the FAFSA is March 15.
- Return the Financial Aid Reply Form that was mailed with the award letter in order to officially accept the financial aid package.
- If your FAFSA is selected for verification by the Federal Processor, complete the Verification Worksheet that was sent with your award letter and return it to the Financial Aid Office with copies of student and parent IRS Tax Transcripts. (If the IRS DRT was used when the FAFSA was filed, we won’t need copies of Tax Transcripts.)
- Student completes Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov. Entrance Counseling ensures that the student understands rights and responsibilities as a first-time borrower and the MPN is the promise to repay the loan.
- Start saving money for textbooks. The price of textbooks is not included in tuition and fees.
- FAFSA deadline to be considered for PA State Grant is May 1.
- If you missed Carlow’s March 15 preferred deadline, now is your chance to file your FAFSA prior to May 1.
June - August
- Fall tuition invoices are mailed from the Student Accounts Office at the end of June with an August due date.
- Parents can apply for the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan at www.studentloans.gov.
- Students and parents can apply for private education loans. A list to start your search is available at www.elmselect.com.
- Make payment arrangements with Student Accounts. Contact the Cashier at 412.578.6052 to make a credit card payment or to set up a payment plan.
- Financial Aid is credited to student account. When financial aid (including Parent PLUS Loan and/or private loans) is greater than tuition, fees, and room and board, a refund check is issued to the student or parent for educational expenses.
See the Academic Calendar for other Financial Aid and Registration deadlines.
If you are still in high school, the College Board offers a useful planning tool called bigfuture to help you track your college application progress and gain helpful advice.