In 1837, Fr. Andrew Fitzgerald, PhD, President of St. Patrick’s Carlow College welcomed the Sisters of Mercy. The sisters founded St. Leo’s Convent on property adjacent to the College. From Carlow, members of the Mercy Community traveled to the United States and founded the colleges and universities we operate today. Carlow University continues to have a relationship with Carlow College in Ireland. Carlow College is located in Carlow Town, a small city with many amenities within an hour of Dublin. It maintains its strong tradition as a student-friendly campus where students and their lecturers work together to create the optimum atmosphere for study and personal development.
Courses are taught by accredited faculty and students can earn up to 15 credits including a 3-credit workshop on the Irish in America. All courses are also accredited by Carlow University and students will be issued a Carlow University transcript.
Carlow (Irish: Ceatharlach, meaning "four lakes") is the county town of County Carlow in Ireland. It is situated in the south-east of Ireland, 84 km from Dublin. According to the 2006 census, the population of the town and its environs is 18,204. The River Barrow flows through the town, and forms the historic boundary between counties Laois and Carlow: the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898 included the town entirely in County Carlow. The settlement of Carlow is thousands of years old and pre-dates written Irish history. The town has played a major role in Irish history, serving as the capital of the country in the 14th century.
Various courses will be available in English, Drama, Media Studies, History, Social Care, Philosophy, Theology, Psychology, and Citizen and Community. These courses could be used to fulfill major requirements or Liberal Arts Inquiries (LAI).