The Office of Campus Life at Carlow University is searching for a current graduate student to fill the position of Graduate Student Assistant. Applicants must be currently enrolled in a master’s level program, preferably seeking a Master’s in Higher Education with a focus on Student Development. This position requires a 25-hour a week commitment through the academic year. The candidate will follow the official Carlow University calendar.
Carlow University is a comprehensive, women-centered Catholic University located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, Carlow is situated in a culturally diverse urban setting. One of the 17 member institutions of the Conference for Mercy Higher Education, Carlow is recognized for educating traditional students and adult learners for a lifetime of ethical leadership and service.
This position will work primarily with two distinct groups of students and hold multiple roles within the Office of Campus Life.
Non-Traditional Student Programming
The candidate will be responsible for planning all nontraditional student programming. This includes all program planning, execution, and assessment. Programs will range from the fall and spring orientation sessions to the fall and spring nontraditional student week. A full assessment will be expected of these programs at the end of each semester and included in the Office of Campus Life end of the year report.
Commuter Student Programming
The candidate will be responsible for planning all of the experiences that our commuter student population has on campus. This includes all program planning, execution, and assessment. Highlighted programs will include a monthly breakfast and lunch program detailing the resources available on campus for commuter students, the initiation of a commuter student assistant program, and organizing a way for students to connect regarding off campus housing and transportation resources. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for the advisement of the Commuter Student Association. A full assessment will be expected of these programs at the end of each semester and included in the Office of Student Activities end of the year report. Finally, this position will be our liaison with the other local universities in relation to the Commuter Connection Program.
- Developing a multi-faceted approach to working with the Non Traditional and Commuter Student populations on campus.
- Planning an assessment of the approach used to work with Non Traditional and Commuter students.
- Responsible for attending the bi-monthly Student Affairs Department staff meeting, meeting weekly with the Director of Campus Life, and attending all meetings as required to implement programming directed towards Non Traditional and Commuter students.
- Assist the Director of Campus Life with the day to day management of the Student Activities Office including the planning of office specific programming and implementation of the Student Activities Fee.
- Demonstrate and reflect an understanding of and commitment to the mission and core values of Carlow University, and the Sisters of Mercy.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Campus Life.
- Must currently be enrolled in a Master’s level program.
- The ability to work with diverse populations.
- Well developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to work collegial with all segments of the university.
- The ability to create and implement large scale programs and services for students.
- Have an understanding of the value of student activities and of the motivations of students who participate in them.
- A very basic understanding of student development and learning outcomes theory.
- Successful leadership experience in student organizations as an undergraduate.
Send cover letter and resume to HR2@carlow.edu.
Carlow University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer by choice. We value diversity and we are committed to the recruitment of underrepresented groups.