Senior Director of Marketing and Brand
Marketing and Communications
President for Enrollment Management and Marketing
The Senior Director of Marketing and Brand Management will
provide strategic leadership for creating and maintaining the brand
and reputation of Carlow University. The
Senior Director will be viewed as the institutional expert on
initiatives directly impacting the University's brand, including
internal and external advertising, media relations, digital and
social media, Carlow's website, communications, market research,
creative production, brand position pieces, and various ongoing and
ad-hoc pieces and publications. The Senior Director will report to
the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing and will
supervise a team of 6-7 members.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Leads the University's Marketing and Communications team,
including oversight of the institution's Print Services
- Manages relationships with vendors, freelancers, and designers
to ensure they are meeting contractual obligations.
- Promotes a collegial and collaborative environment, working
closely with all University clients-staff, faculty, administration,
students-in establishing strategic integrated marketing plans.
- Manages department budget, including print and
- Ensures brand integrity across campus by developing and
enforcing a University style guide and brand standards for all
print and digital marketing materials, including promotional items,
- Leads the advancement of Carlow's brand, ensuring consistent
messaging in alignment with the University's mission and
- Provides creative and editorial direction to creative services
team, and establishes a quality assurance process for all
- Monitors and investigates new market trends in order to
recommend strategy adjustments.
- Establishes a comprehensive content calendar and communication
plan for digital and print media to support institutional
- Seeks out compelling stories of students, faculty, staff, and
alumni for use in publications, social media, and other
- Writes and edits print and digital content for internal and
- Leads efforts to improve and expand the social media and online
presence of Carlow University, with particular attention on CMS
management, design, content, and navigation of the University's
- Researches, plans, and coordinates advertising efforts across
various media: internet, print, radio, outdoor.
- Effectively serves as lead project manager for larger scale
print and digital projects, including the Carlow Magazine
(semi-annually), President's Report (annually), and President's
Quarterly. Ensures that these projects are delivered on time and on
- In collaboration with Enrollment Management leadership, creates
and executes a recruitment communications strategy and
corresponding content and materials.
- Oversees the development and production of marketing
communications materials and content for all University
initiatives, including advancement, alumni, president's office, and
- Establishes communication procedures and protocols for campus
- Represents the marketing department on University
- Serves on the Enrollment Management and Marketing Leadership
Team and acts as an advisor to senior administrators as
- Demonstrates and reflects understanding of and commitment to
the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of
The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties as assigned.
Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based on departmental
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree required with preference in a discipline
related to communications, public relations, journalism, marketing,
business, or related field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience, with preference for
experience in a higher education setting.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Outstanding written, verbal, presentation, editorial, and
- Ability to listen effectively to clients (e.g. faculty, staff,
administration) and respond constructively to their requests and
- Evidence of collaboration with other departments and
- Superior leadership, prioritization, team building, and problem
- Strong project management in directing projects through to
- Self-directed with strong analytical and organizational skills
and attention to detail.
- Flexibility under competing time requirements and changing
- Thorough understanding of all forms of marketing and
- Experience in building brand image including developing sub
- Knowledge of trends in higher education is strongly
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest
standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with
integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward
the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or
commitment, maintain confidentiality, and comply with legal and
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting and is
inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our University community.