Carlow University, a private, Catholic, liberal arts,
comprehensive University in Pittsburgh, PA. Carlow University was
founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, an international community
of Roman Catholic women with a mission to serve the poor, the sick,
and the uneducated. Carlow, an institution grounded in the liberal
arts while also offering strong professional programs, is committed
to engaging its diverse community in a process of life-long
learning, scholarship, research, and service. Degrees are offered
at the baccalaureate, master's, and doctoral levels. Carlow is
recognized as a College of Distinction, a Catholic College of
Distinction, and a Pennsylvania College of Distinction for 2016-17.
Carlow has also been selected by Abound as a provider of Top
Degrees for Adult Undergraduates for 2017 and is regionally ranked
by US News & World Report. The University
was recently named one of Money Magazine's "Best
Colleges for Your Money.
Carlow University invites applications for the position of
Sergeant of the Campus Police department. She/he is responsible for
the command of all Dispatches/Police Officers as first line
supervisor in addition to the following below.
- Shift discipline and shift call
response and performance as well as any collateral responsibilities assigned by the chief of police.
- Maintains direct daily oversight and reporting as the first
- Directly oversees the Corporal
- Arranges reserved parking requests
- Acts as Evidence Custodian
- Coordinates monthly drills
- Oversees all criminal investigations within the
- Provides accident reports as requested by insurance or
3rd party designee.
- Suggests corrective measures/disciplinary action as
- Conducts normal patrol duties which include:
- Maintain peace, order and morality, protect persons, prevent
crime, and apprehend criminals within Carlow University and Sisters
of Mercy areas
- Investigate all crime, protect crimes scenes, collect and
preserve evidence, investigate accidents, unlawful acts, make legal
arrests of offenders, and serve warrants and subpoenas when
- Review reports of investigations and recommend further action
- Be familiar with an enforce Carlow University Rules and
Regulation, and procedures of the Department.
- Demonstrates and reflects an understanding of and commitment to
the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of
- Other duties as assigned
- Act 120 completion
- Valid Driver's License
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of training and
- Ability to communicate effectively, in person, via telephone,
and in writing.
- Ability to efficiently operate the telephone, two-way radio,
email, and related systems.
- Proven problem solving skills with ability to make decisions
and take initiative to resolve issues.
- Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality and to handle
sensitive matters using discretion, diplomacy, and good
- Evidence Custodian certification (Preferred)
- 5 years of policing, preferably with at least one year in
- Strong business ethics.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest
standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with
integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward
the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or
commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and
Send resume to HR8@carlow.edu
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting
and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our