Carlow University invites
applications for the position of Director of Competency Based
Education. This position is funded through a grant from the Richard
King Mellon Foundation. The Director reports to the Dean of
Online and Digital Learning and will supervise CBE-related
personnel, provide training to faculty and relevant staff on CBE
procedures, and collect and analyze information from student
satisfaction surveys. This position will lead the development,
implementation and assessment of a comprehensive strategy to
Competency Based learning at Carlow University.
The Director will collaborate
extensively with various academic departments at the institution,
and external stakeholders to develop and implement an institution
vision and strategy for Competency Based Education at Carlow
University. The Director will foster collaboration between faculty
and the Center for Experiential Learning, Center for Digital
Learning & Innovation, and the Office of Career Development.
The Director will contribute to setting the annual strategic goals
and priorities for Competency Based Education in partnership with
academic departments. Those goals and priorities will be aligned to
the institution's strategic plan.
The Director will need to consider
accreditation and financial aid implications in the operational
planning for all CBE programs; develop CBE programming, review
academic programs for conversion to CBE delivery mode; develop
strategic contacts with industry for program alignment to workforce
needs and collaborate with enrollment management and marketing,
including the CBE website and social media presence.
- Manage competency-based design and development projects and
processes to include overseeing the design phase of
competency-based program sequences, degree plans and course
syllabi, while working in close collaboration with faculty, subject
matter experts, instructional designers and learning technology
- Align and manage the design, development and production
timelines across multiple University departments and external
partners ensuring timely achievement of critical activities.
- Manage the training and supervision of competency-based
tutorial faculty and staff.
- Assist with the development of marketing and enrollment
strategies and the development of accreditation materials.
- Assist with the conceptualization and development of technology
support systems for the competency-based program and participate in
the development of competency-based assessment strategies.
- Monitor and review metrics (student satisfaction, behavior,
retention, graduation rates, etc.) for students in the
competency-based program, identify areas of concern, and develop
strategies to them.
- Oversee all related competency-based, personalized/adaptive
vendor-related activities including vendor selection, vendor
management, and timely compliance of vendor deliverables.
- Apply an understanding of the changing landscape of higher
education in the management and outcomes of this project.
- Work with the Center for Experiential Learning, Center for
Digital and Online Learning, and Office of Career Development to
evaluate workforce development programs and employer needs in the
- Meet regularly with the Dean of Online & Digital Learning
to monitor the development, delivery and continuous improvement of
the competency-based programming portfolio.
- Propose, plan and supervise the development of policies
and procedures for competency-based programs in collaboration with
- Master's Degree is required with 3 years' experience in a CBE
- Higher education teaching experience (Online or CBE-
- At least 3 years leadership experience
- Experience developing and implementing a department strategic
- Experience conducting data analysis to inform instruction and
- Experience in increasing achievement and closing opportunity
gaps in racial, ethnic, and economic groups
- Experience in planning and leading large and complex programs
to successful outcomes
- Experience in relationship management and networking
- Experience in working with diverse populations, community
organizations, and corporate partners.
Carlow University employees commit
themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They
commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and
dignity, carefully steward the University's resources, avoid
conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and
to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Send cover letter and resume to
Carlow University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We strive for a campus
that reflects our urban setting and is inclusive of
underrepresented groups to enhance our University