Carlow University is a comprehensive
Catholic University located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Founded in
1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, Carlow is situated in a culturally
rich and diverse urban setting. Carlow is recognized for
educating traditional students and adult learners for a lifetime of
ethical leadership and service.
Carlow University invites
applications for the position of Coordinator of Public Services.
This position reports to the Executive Director of the Library
and Learning Commons.
Scope of Functions:
- Implements the following supervisory, reference, and
- Manages all aspects of circulation and reference
- Supervises and maintains close communication with the Public
Services Librarian and Circulation Assistant with regard to
circulation, reference service, library instruction, supervision of
work study students, periodicals and all types of reciprocal
- Manages resource sharing including PALCI E-ZBorrow, PALCI
RapidILL, interlibrary loan, reciprocal borrowing, and document
- Provides user assistance in locating information, explains the
use of reference tools, and recommends methods of research designed
to improve students' information literacy skills and faculty
- Serves as liaison to designated academic departments for
purposes of collection development, specialized library
instruction, identification of faculty needs and general
- Coordinates information literacy instruction and teaches
information literacy sessions.
- Manages the reserve collection with assistance from the Public
- Maintains statistics pertaining to circulation, IL instruction,
and reference services and prepares the annual report on public
- Weeds and maintains the reference collection.
- Prepares LibGuides for library resources and courses/programs
of study within her/his liaison areas.
- Assists Executive Director of the Library in developing and
implementing general library policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of
degree in library and/or information science from an American
Library Association (ALA) accredited school.
- Minimum 3
years experience with public services in an academic library.
interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
knowledge of integrated library systems - preferably SirsiDynix
- Ability to
work independently and collaboratively.
computer skills (Outlooks, Microsoft Office)
Carlow University employees commit
themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They
commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and
dignity, carefully steward the University's resources, avoid
conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and
to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Send cover letter and resume to HR10@carlow.edu.
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting
and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our