Carlow University invites applications for the position of
Assistant Teacher Full Time in the Early Learning Center.
This position reports to the Lead Teacher and the
Supervisory of the Early Learning Center. The Assistant
Teacher assists the Lead Teacher in maintaining the safety of the
children, and in the implementation of daily program.
1. Treat children with love and
respect. Must use positive guidance techniques.
2. Must be able to see, hear,
direct, and assess the activity of the children.
3. Must follow all policies and
procedures as stated in Employee Handbooks.
4. Assist the Lead Teacher in
planning and implementing the daily program utilizing DAP theory as
outlined by NAEYC and the Creative Curriculum.
5. In cooperation with the Lead
Teacher, maintain daily communication with parents and participate
in parent/teacher conferences.
6. Maintain knowledge of and
implement the guidelines and standards set by NAEYC and Keystone
7. Take responsibility of the
class when the Lead Teacher is not present.
8. Assist in the monthly
assessment of each child to ensure that programming meets the
individual needs of each child.
9. Complete periodic child
assessments using the Teaching Strategies: GOLD system for child
development, share this information with parents, and conference
with parents about their child's development as requested.
10. Implement Early Intervention strategies as outlined by
relevant support staff.
11. Maintain a professional manner in the classroom when
working with colleagues, parents and children.
12. Maintain a safe and clean environment for the
13. Maintain and implement knowledge of current state
14. Continue professional development (required 24 hours
per year) and keep abreast of current issues by reading
15. Attend meetings and trainings as requested by the
16. Perform any additional duties as assigned by the Lead
Teacher and/or the Director.
17. Complete closing/opening duties as needed.
18. Maintain a consistent work schedule and ethic,
arriving on time and working an entire shift.
19. Demonstrate and reflect an understanding of and
commitment to the mission and core values of the University and the
Sisters of Mercy. The intent of this list of primary duties is to
provide a representative summary of the major duties and
responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related
duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary
based upon departmental needs.
1. Must be able to lift, carry and
hold children up to 50 lbs.
2. Must be able to actively
participate in physical activities indoors and outdoors. For
example: running on the playground, walking with the children
on campus walks, and participating in large motor and movement
3. Must be able to physically
interact with children birth to three years of age at their eye
4. Must be able to physically meet
the needs of an emergency situation; must be able to supervise
children and ensure the children's safety during various emergency
situations such as quickly escort a group of children outside
during a fire drill.
5. Must be able to assist the
children in toilet training, dressing, and other self-help
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRTIBUTES:
1. Associate degree in Early
Childhood Education or related field and one year experience
working in childcare or CDA and one year experience in
2. Experience working specifically
with infants and toddlers.
3. Must meet all DHS requirements
before beginning: Current (within one year) Act 33/34 and FBI
fingerprint clearances, Mandated Reporter training, current
physical and TB test, two letters of recommendation.
4. Certified in CPR/First Aid.
5. Previous experience with
Keystone STARS or NAEYC accreditation.
6. Ability to create a
nurturing and safe environment as well as have excellent
Send resume to HR13@carlow.edu
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting
and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our