Director of Mercy Service will be responsible for coordinating the various
experiences of service and community outreach on the Carlow campus as the
leader of the Center for Mercy Service. The
purpose of this office is to create a dynamic response to the needs of our
world and our community and to create in students a life-long commitment to
- Work collaboratively with university students, staff, faculty,
Sisters of Mercy, alumnae and the Campus School to assure that a culture of
service is integrated throughout the University.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive data-base of service
- Develop an expanding network of service sites and serve as a
liaison between these sites and the University.
- In collaboration with other university staff and faculty, plan,
implement, supervise and assess Alternative Spring Break.
- Plan and implement service opportunities throughout the year
including Alternative Spring Break and more regular experiences of service
involving the campus community.
- Participate in and contribute to university meetings, processes,
- Work collaboratively with the Campus Minister, the Chaplain, the Director
Inclusion and Intercultural Engagement and Special Assistant to the President
for Mercy Heritage within the Center for Mercy Heritage and Service and with
the Director of Service Learning.
- Collaborate with co-curricular departments and personnel in
providing and supporting the students’ university experience.
- Collaborate with community partners in creating service
opportunities beneficial to them and to members of the Carlow community.
- Participate in University groups and events focused on the
Critical Concerns of the Sisters of Mercy.
- Act as the University liaison with the Justice Team of the Sisters
of Mercy of the Americas, Catholic Relief Services and the Institute for Global
Labor and Human Rights.
- Demonstrate and reflect an understanding of and commitment of the
mission and core values of the University and the Sisters of Mercy.
- Develop and manage office budget.
- Hire and supervise work study students as needed and available.
- Track information for and apply annually for the President’s Honor
Roll of Service and other avenues of recognition.
- Represent Carlow at diocesan, regional and national meetings a
needed and appropriate.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job.
Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and
responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
experience, skills, knowledge
- Experience with community organizing, social services or
volunteerism. Leadership skills, and ability to develop consensus within
organizations and between individuals.
- Commitment to diversity and ability to work with diverse populations.
A demonstrated appreciation for and ability to articulate the unique values of
diversity to the University, to the local community, and to society at large.
- Ability to work effectively with traditional and adult students in
both instructional and advisory capacities.
- Strong organizational/program management skills with experience
maintaining both paper and electronic files.
- Professionalism, flexibility, dependability and confidentiality.
- Ability to engender, through word and example, an enthusiasm for
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Strong computer application skills.
- Ability to communicate through social media.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Degree in ministry, community organization or a related field.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest
standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat
others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University's resources,
avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to
comply with legal and professional obligations.
Send cover letter and resume to HR5@carlow.edu.
Carlow University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer by
choice. We value diversity and we are committed to the recruitment of